Blogger Widgets Struggling Parents: Willing to step forward

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Willing to step forward

I've been struggling with the disease of alcoholism most of my life.
Addictive: The aspect of being biologically or psychologically habit-forming.

I have the addictive personality.
I'm an addict, not only just alcoholism, but cigarettes, and most anything.
I don't do addict drugs like heroin, speed, crack, crank, but I become addicted to a lot of other things, such as things on the computer like games, myspace, Google blogging, Entrecard drops and many more.

Alcoholism is a disease characterized by the excessive consumption of and dependence on alcohol, potentially leading to physical and psychological dysfunction.

I have a Dependency on alcohol: A persistent and compulsive need or addiction to alcohol.


They say that the first step to recovery is to admit to being an addict.

Withdrawals: The body's physical reactions to the absence of alcohol in your system and the symptoms it produces; also known as withdrawal symptoms.


Withdrawals usually, with me is anxiousness, nervousness, and anxiety. The strongest time of the day is towards the evening, when these symptoms occur.

my famous quote;

I have a few drinks to decrease my shakiness, nausea, or sweating.


AND

I spend a lot of time thinking about drinking.


I have a strong yearning or desire to consume or indulge in alcohol.

Am I in denial?
well denial is the state or act of asserting that something alleged is not true; refusal to acknowledge a condition or situation.

"I'm not refusing to acknowledge my condition, or my situation"


"I admit to being an alcoholic"

"I admit to having a hard time not thinking it or craving it by the end of each day"

A lot of people don't believe in addictions, but addictions can be to coffee, or caffeine, or anything else habit forming.


Ask yourself these questions
If you answer yes to 1 or more of the following questions, you may have a problem with alcohol. Have you ever felt:

* The need to cut down on your drinking?
* Annoyed by criticism of your drinking?
* Guilty about your drinking?
* As if you need a drink in the morning?




How do I stop?
The first step is realizing that I control my own behavior. It's the only real control I have in my life. So I should use it. Here are the next steps I'll mention:

1. Commit to quitting. Once I decide to quit, I can make plans to be sure I succeed.
2. Get help from my doctor. Alcoholism is a kind of disease, and it can be treated. Talking with my doctor or a counselor about my problems can be helpful too.
3. I'll get support. Contact Alcoholics Anonymous or the National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence. They will give me the tools and support I need to quit or ask my family and friends for support too.

I have to be willing to step forward and take one day at a time.













My other blog;
1. Across this bridge
2. Marketing myself
3. Struggling parents
4. When life become a book
5. Read Between the Lines
6. Internet Lifestyle
7. The Sleeping Turtle Art Gallery




Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe in "Struggling Parents





1 comment:

THE MOM WITH BROWNIES said...

Here from Entrecard! I'm a fellow Hot Drop! :-)

--------------

These are just the type of stories that would be engaging for the "What's Your Mom Story" meme I have going. You would get a post and a link out of it if you choose to participate.

Just a thought. :-)

Shelly M.